Surveyors must follow certain standards of professional behaviour. If the work carried out by a surveyor does not meet your expectations, the first step you should take is to contact the surveyor and discuss your situation. to clear up any misunderstandings or apparent shortcomings. Other options are available depending on the nature of your complaint:

Unprofessional Conduct

Making a Complaint: Written complaints relating to unprofessional conduct and ethics of NZIS members should be addressed to the NZIS National Office. The complaint should be accompanied by any relevant supporting documents. Forward to:

PO Box 5304
Lambton Quay
Wellington 6145.

What Happens Next: The complaint is referred to a special Ethics Committee of the NZIS Council for consideration. Following the receipt, the sub-committee will seek a written explanation from the member who is the subject of the complaint. The member has 20 working days in which to lodge the explanation. A preliminary investigation is then conducted by the Complaints Sub-Committee to determine whether the complaint has been substantiated.
If the complaint is found to be substantive a recommendation may be made to Council that a formal reprimand be issued or an enquiry held. If the member is found, by the enquiry, to be guilty of malpractice or improper or unprofessional conduct, or is in the opinion of Council, guilty of a breach of any of the Membership Rules a range of penalties may be imposed including suspension of the member from privileges of membership or a fine not exceeding $25,000.

Professional Misconduct by A Licensed Cadastral Surveyor

Making a Complaint: Complaints about the professional misconduct of Licensed Cadastral Surveyors should be made to the Cadastral Surveyors Licensing Board of New Zealand (CSLB).
Grounds for Complaint: Complaints of this nature relate to the placing of survey boundary pegs in subdivisions or boundary redefinition surveys. This work is regulated by the Cadastral Surveyors Licensing Board of NZ. This is a government body set up to ensure that boundary surveys are carried out to the standards set by the Surveyor-Generals Office.

The CSLB receives complaints relating to:
  • a licensed cadastral surveyor found guilty of professional misconduct;
  • a surveyor misrepresents themselves as a licensed cadastral surveyor.
Details of what constitutes professional misconduct are set out in Schedule 2 of the Cadastral Survey Act 2002 and include the following:
- to have been negligent in the conduct of, or failure to conduct, any cadastral survey

- to have certified to the accuracy of any cadastral survey or cadastral survey dataset without having personally carried out or directed the cadastral survey and the related field operations

- to have certified to the accuracy of any cadastral survey or cadastral survey dataset without having carried out sufficient checks to ensure the accuracy of the entries in any field book and the accuracy of all calculations, working plans, and other cadastral survey records that may have been made by any person employed by him or her in relation to the cadastral survey

- to have certified to the accuracy of any cadastral survey carried out by the cadastral surveyor or under his or her personal direction if the operation of pegging and ground marking, and all other requirements of the cadastral survey, have not been carried out in accordance with standards set under Part 5

- to have certified to the accuracy of any cadastral survey or cadastral survey dataset, knowing it to be defective - to have made any entry in any field book or other record that purports to have been derived from actual observation or measurement in the field, if in fact it has not been so derived

- to have supplied to the Surveyor-General any erroneous information in relation to any cadastral survey, cadastral survey mark, or boundary, knowing the information to be erroneous in any material particular.

Fee Disputes

NZIS does not get involved in fee disputes. We suggest that you contact the surveyor directly or use the small claims court, disputes tribunal or other informal processes.

Information on the Disputes Tribunal