In 2013, NZIS broadened its governance and membership to include spatial and GIS professionals with the aim of expanding, enhancing and supporting \ professional skills.
The Role of Surveyors in New Zealand
Amongst many important roles, surveyors fulfill a role in the land title system of New Zealand, helping to protect the integrity of land ownership and property rights.
Functions of the Institute
- Promote and encourage ethical conduct of the profession
- Protect and enhance the integrity and status of the surveying and spatial professions
- Protect and promote the interests of surveying and spatial professions
- Protect and promote the interests of the public in regard to work undertaken by members
- Promote greater awareness of the value and benefits of surveying and spatial information to the community
- Promote careers in surveying and spatial information
- Provide opportunities for the acquisition and communication of knowledge in relation to surveying and GIS and spatial profession and related matters
- Advocate on the law relating to land, surveys and surveying including GIS and spatial issues
- Iidentify, inform and influence decision makers on national and community issues.