NZ Spatial Professionals Dominate at the Asia Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards in Sydney
Congratulations go to the 2016 NZ Spatial Excellence Award winners who were also awarded honours at APSEA held last week, Wednesday 5 April 2017 at the Sydney International Convention Centre. The awards were held in conjunction with the recent Digital Earth & Locate17 symposium.
Wellington City Council's Sean Audain receiving the Supreme Award at the 2016 NZSEA awards dinner at Te Papa, Wellington.
“New Zealand did extremely well this year” says Mark Allan, NZIS President, “with the NZSEA Supreme Award winner, Wellington City Council’s Living Lab entry not only taking the Supreme Award at the 2016 New Zealand awards, but also winning the overall APSEA award for industry excellence and the People and Community Award”.
The Living Lab initiative explores how smart city technology can support inter-agency collaboration focused on improving community wellbeing and safety. The project uses existing data sources and assets, coupled with new sensory and analytical methods and technologies, to offer insights into day-to-day street level trends, patterns and hotspots in real-time and as issues arise.
The NZ Spatial Excellence awards are part of APSEA which recognizes spatial achievement over the past twelve months in the Asia Pacific region and internationally. Winners of NZSEA are automatically entered into APSEA alongside Australian, Asian and Pacific entries.
The event was hosted by Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute, Australia (SSSI), Spatial Industries Business Association, Geospatial Information & Technology Association (SIBA/GITA) and the International Society for Digital Earth (ISDE).
The New Zealand award winners and honours at APSEA were:
- Award for People and Community: Wellington City Council, New Zealand – Living Lab
- Award for Spatial Enablement: NZ Transport Agency, New Zealand – Spatially enabling a thriving NZ
- Overall JK Barrie award for industry excellence: Wellington City Council, New Zealand – Living Lab
- Postgraduate Student Award: Mike McConachie, New Zealand
- Professional of the Year Award: Prof Wendy Lawson, New Zealand
- SSSI President’s Award: Simon Ironside.
A commendation went to:
- Technical Excellence Award: Highly commended - National Geodetic Office, Land Information New Zealand – Improving New Zealand’s vertical datum.
Congratulations to all award winners and commendable entries!
See the full list of APSEA awards on the night.
See the full list of NZ Spatial Excellence Award Winners for 2016.
Visit Digital Locate Digital Earth & Locate17 symposium.