April Webinar: Useful Geospatial Tools for Surveyors
Friday 20 April, 10am - 11am
Surveyors play a central role in a range of government agencies and private organisations, from planning and construction to engineering and land boundary determination. GIS is built on a database over individual project files, enables surveyors to easily manage, reuse, share, and analyse data, saving time and reducing duplication.
This session will be of interest to those working in Land development, ports, airport infrastructure, property, infrastructure, roads, utilities, construction, BIM, environmental and engineering fields and anyone using CAD, 12d and related platforms.
This practical demonstration will introduce geospatial concepts and a selection of GIS tools that could be used to assist them in their work. This will complement a future webinar exploring “Useful Geospatial Data for Surveyors”.
This webinar will be based on your questions prior to the webinar, the following topics are indicative of what will be covered:
- How you can use geospatial tools to support your work
- An overview of the most common GIS platforms (free, open source and commercial) and how to get them.
- How to structure GIS data projects as a database and folder structure.
- Geoprocessing concepts - clip, integrate, union, nearest, shortest path.
- Mobile field capture tools
- Parcel models and editing tools
- Capturing, sharing and using 360 Imagery for engineering purposes.
- Adding GIS data directly into AutoCAD
- Accessing geospatial data layers without downloading them (webservices)
- Geocoding address Lists and identifying addresses for an area of interest.
- Creating 3D web maps for online use - All 3D all the time.
- Automated map series generation - area coverage at scale or along a path.
- Useful sites to find and access geospatial information
Please forward your questions and topics you’d like covered here.
After this webinar, participants will have a basic understanding of what geospatial tools are available and how they could be used for a variety of purposes.
The course will continue at the 129th NZIS Conference and finish with a refresher around June or July.
Presented by Duane Wilkins
Biography: I am an advocate of the value derived from geospatial information and my role is to raise awareness and understanding of geospatial information concepts and the benefits. I aim to help organisations grow their geospatial capability, helping agencies and industry to understand how to use geospatial data to leverage the opportunities and gains geospatial analytics offer. By supporting decision makers, we can visualise new relationships in their data through applied geography, using the “Power of Where”, to ensure more informed decision making.
I began as a geospatial developer/analyst and progressed through to become a certified project and programme management professional. I led the implementation of large scale geospatial technology projects to support infrastructure reconstruction throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, despite much of it being lost to ISIS deconstruction! I have led the application of geospatial technologies for sectors as diverse as Health, Local Government, Conservation, Treaty Settlements and managed vendor based GIS professional services.
Type: Live Stream Event
Members Rate :$50.00 + gst, Non-Members Rate:$100.00 + gst
If you have 5 or more employees interested in this webinar, please email email@example.com